The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Sort columns dynamically with the select tool

Problem: In certain workflows, it becomes necessary to arrange columns in a specific order for the output. While achieving the desired order for a fixed number of columns is feasible using the select tool, difficulties arise when dealing with dynamic outputs that introduce new columns during each workflow run.

Example: Consider the following scenario: the INPUT data for the select tool includes a set of Question/Answer columns. However, with every run of the workflow, new columns of this type are introduced. The challenge is to ensure that Question N and Answer N columns are grouped together in the OUTPUT dynamically. Unfortunately, this task is not easily accomplished using the current capabilities of Alteryx.

INPUT:

CompanyQuestion 1Question 2Question 3Answer 1Answer 2Answer 3
ContosoBlahBlehBlyNYN

DESIRED OUTPUT:

CompanyQuestion 1Answer 1Question 2Answer 2Question 3Answer 3
ContosoBlahNBlehYBlyN

With Python/Pandas, this problem can be easily resolved by assigning index values to each column and then sorting the columns based on the assigned index:

reorder_py.png

So, based on the Python solution, if Alteryx could do the same, it would be great. I personally think that if the Dynamic Rename tool could held the Index Info, and the select tool could also held the Sort option, this would work.

Workflow.png

Dynamic Rename: Already can hold Description info, could hold Index Info.

dynamic_rename.png

Select tool: Could sort by index and hold this info when the workflow is saved.

Index.png

Hope this all make sense.

Thanks.

2 Comments
spatiha
5 - Atom

I do not see Sort on Index option at all

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @spatiha 

I made this image with microsoft paint to represent the idea, sorry if this was not clear.