Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Run Time Counter and Last Run Time

I have often thought it would be nice to have a 'predicted run time' for a module calculated.

An adequate prediction might be the complete run time last time the module ran.  Then, in combination with a counter of how long a module has been running so far, we’d be well armed to estimate whether to go get a cup of coffee or not.

8 Comments
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

This is something all analysts want's to see I guess "have I done anything awkard in terms of compute time?",
I remember times when SAS was "running" mode only and you keep waiting cluelessly.

Though it may not be a so not straight forward task. There is a need to collect all tool runtimes

• given number of rows and colum inputs per tool,
  • given complexity of the equation at hand if it's a formula tool,
  • given complextiy of the sql run,
  • given the computer specs,
  • given the ongoing processes on the pc, mem usage, disk usage etc.

then a fairly accurate claculation may be provided on the screen I guess...

Best

zuruprem
6 - Meteoroid

I support this Idea.

_richardr
10 - Fireball

Having the last run time for a module down in the Workflow - Messages area would be very helpful.  I often click run and then immediately think, how long did this run the last time.  Something I could have noted just before clicking the run button.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Here is my quick solution to this, and I do this for almost all of my workflows...

Picture1.png

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

Thanks for submitting this idea and the responses. I love the comments @Atabarezz makes on workflows! Handy way to document your previous run time. We'll consider this idea as we're making improvements in the future, but this idea isn't planned in this year's roadmap.

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This is an idea that came up because I know how long my workflows generally take to run, but there is no handy way to start a timer automatically when Alteryx starts running a workflow. Sure, one could start a timer at the same time but wouldn't it be so nice if it was just integrated into Alteryx?!

This was previously s   ‎07-31-2014 04:13 PM but it was put in the "Not Planned" bucket (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer/Run-Time-Counter-and-Last-Run-Time/idi-p/1500). However, with enough likes I think it could be reconsidered!rtaImage_eid=087E00000005Eb8&feoid=Body&refid=0EME0000000UBOs.png

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @alexnajm ,

I've merged your idea back with the original, while we really appreciate and love to see the enthusiasm around our idea boards, creating new ideas can actually negatively impact the ability for an idea to get implemented. We do look back on older not planned ideas, so the best way to encourage our product team to look into an idea again is to encourage comments and likes on the pre-existing idea.

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Understood @KylieF ! Thank you very much.