Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Pass Parameters into Pre/Post SQL Statements

Right now in order to pass a parameter to pre/Post SQL we need to make a macro as a work around.

It would be really great if this was a native capability for the output tool so we don't have to replicate all the output too fields as macro inputs
12 Comments
simon
11 - Bolide

yeah, I was surprised in the dynamic input I can only replace string in the query and NOT in pre or post SQL statements? Please add!

capgroup
6 - Meteoroid

Agreed, this should be basic functionality. I need it too.

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!

leonj
7 - Meteor

Agree that this is a needed functionality.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: New Idea

This idea is being returned to the New Idea status, as it has reached the required number of likes to be brought to our product teams attention. Please note it may take time for our product team to provide a response. However, we will do our best to insure this idea is updated accordingly.

Thank you for posting and contributing to the product idea boards!

randreag
11 - Bolide

Yes this should be native!

amti
7 - Meteor

We also really need this functionality. Having a lot of macros to deal with parameters, something like ${PARAM} would be great!

MDhaker
7 - Meteor

Is there any update on this?
I need to update a SQL statement by passing dynamic parameters. Is there any workaround ?

leonj
7 - Meteor

I have found a workaround to pass dynamic parameters into a SQL statement by using a Dynamic Input tool. 

The key is to set up the Dynamic Input tool with a short expression that passes the syntax check in the SQL Editor.  This will allow the workflow to show up without an error. I have found the following short generic SQL expression has worked for me in my environment.

SELECT 1 as success /* From */

You may need to tweak the above expression to work in your environment or use an actual expression that works. The point is to configure the Dynamic Input tool with a short expression that actually works or trick Alteryx into passing the syntax check.

You then build your actual SQL expression that you want to run (with the dynamic variable you want to pass) in a formula tool. Then it is a matter of configuring the Dynamic Input tool with the option of "Replace a Specific String". You will replace the whole short expression you had previously entered with the new expression you built in the formula tool. 

When you run the workflow the Dynamic Input tool it will replace the generic SQL expression with the new expression that has the dynamic variable. 

I have also used this same method as a way to run a delete expression that will delete records after a dynamic date. 

leonj_1-1629384787349.png