Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Output Option for Excel: Overwrite Data but not the Formatting

It would be great if there was an output option for excel files where you could overwrite the data in the sheet, but keep the formatting in the sheet. Similar to how the Paste Values option works in Excel. This would allow me to create a template with data validation, conditional formatting, column widths, cell fill colors, etc and set a workflow to run on a schedule and just paste the data into the existing template.

To get around this right now I have to output it to a separate tab and then paste the columns as values over the existing template. This is fine unless I am out of the office and need to bother someone else to do it. I know there have been many times where i wish this was an option outside of the report I am currently building. I am honestly surprised I couldn't find an idea already submitted about this!

Thanks,

Wes

7 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thank you for posting to the Alteryx Designer Idea Board!

This feature will be available in an upcoming release! We'll update this idea again once the release is publicly available for download.

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for suggesting this! For the 2020.1 release, we have added the ability to write to a range and preserve the formatting of those cells. To enable this functionality you will need to check the 'Preserve Formatting on Overwrite' option. There are also some other Excel enhancements in this release as well. You can view the 2020.1 release notes here.

MJ
8 - Asteroid

Is there a list of Excel formatting features that are preserved somewhere?

I noticed that it keeps some really good things like column widths, freeze panes, auto-filter and even the auto-filter selections 🙂

But changes I made to the fill and font color are not...

Text-wrapping is also not preserved.

I haven't tested Conditional formatting yet...

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @MJ, unfortunately there isn't one that I know of; I think that would be a great resource. You could post in the Designer discussion forum and I'm sure one of our ACEs or superusers will have more information.

MJ
8 - Asteroid
MJ
8 - Asteroid

No word yet on the list features that are preserved.  Please let me know if there is a way to know without having to test everything.

Shifty
12 - Quasar

This is a great idea.