Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Message Tool Improvement - New Type Of Message == User Created

Hello Dev Gurus - 

The message tool is nice, but anything you want to learn about what is happening is problematic because the messages you are writing to try to understand your workflow are lost in a sea of other messages.  This is especially problematic when you are trying to understand what is happening within a macro and you enable 'show all macro messages' in the runtime options.  

That being said, what would really help is for messages created with the message tool to have a tag as a user created message.  Then, at message evaluation time, you get all errors / all conversion warnings / all warnings / all user defined messages.  In this way, when you write an iterative macro and are giving yourself the state of the data on a run by run basis, you can just goto a panel that shows you just your messages, and not the entire syslog which is like drinking out of a fire hose. 

Thank you for attending my ted talk regarding Message Tool Improvements.

5 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great Idea! 

patrick_digan_0-1596738835508.gif

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi all! What a fun idea and gif!

I've updated the labels on this idea to provide the correct product teams a bit better visibility into this  idea once the necessary criteria has been met. Be sure to check out other's ideas as well and provide feedback and likes as it helps us better understand what features would be most helpful to our users. 

Thank you for helping us make Alteryx better!

Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Awesome idea. Click a filter and see them. I also feel this way about Macro messages. Constantly fishing for them. As well as the ability to filter the messages for a specific word. Great ideas and a conversation starter.

mbogusz
9 - Comet

I would like to see the Message Tool default to 'Warning and High' instead of 'Message and Normal'

Sometimes I forget to change that default setting and then the warning I'm hoping for doesn't trigger

Not one to read through 100+ messages within a canvas running, but I definitely read all the warnings that are triggered

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes