Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Joining & Unioning in 1 tool

The JOIN tool could use some love.  Let's consider merging the JOIN and UNION functions into a single tool.  Instead of strictly L, J, and R outputs, we could have an option to allow for all standard SQL joins:

• Cross Join (Warning!!!)
  • Inner Join (boring)
  • Left Outer Join (saves time configuring Union)
  • Right Outer Join (saves time ...)
  • Full Outer Join (saves time ...)

Being able to JOIN on case-insensitive values is a big bonus (resisted urge to BOLD and change font size).

Being able to JOIN on date-range is often requested.

Being able to JOIN on numeric-range is often requested.

If we are combining tools, getting UNIQUE on L or R (or both) inputs would also save time.  Most JOIN errors are because the incoming (R) data contains duplicates by KEY.

cheers,

Mark

Hi @NicoleJ 

14 Comments
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @MarqueeCrew !

We were literally just talking about the case-insensitive Join idea/request on a call today. It's on our list to meet with Nicole about it soon. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Maybe also options and warnings about null join fields?

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Lots of suggestions/ideas packed into one post @MarqueeCrew! I particularly would love the ability to do a case-insensitive join!! 

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

While we're on the topic, go check out some other improvements to the join tool here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Add-Ability-to-Reorder-Fields-Being-Joined-i...  :) 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes, please!!! 🙌🙌🙌🙌

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

It would not only save me time cleaning data, but it would also save me time investigating why the join didn't work as expected. I particularly would love it if the match was case insensitive.😁

terry10
11 - Bolide

It would also be nice if the Join & Unioned output applied renames and reordering from the embedded select. Currently the R and L output do not apply these renames, so I haven't been using the embedded select.

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello,

Well, I'm not a fan of the tool that does everything for readibility reason. It's like the tmap in Talend, the tool is so complex that you need a training for just this tool.

Best regards,

Simon

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Awesome ideas @MarqueeCrew!!!

I think explicit warnings on the generation of duplicates would solve a lot of problems in workflows.

Also, configurable workflow messaging un un-joined records.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Yes @DavidP 

if the metadata knows that there are duplicate keys, Warren while configuring. (Example: Right Input data has duplicate data if you join on xxxx field)