The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Input and Dynamic Input tool - Output SheetName as a field

When loading multiple sheets from and Excel with either the Input Data tool or the Dynamic Input Tool, I usually want a field to identify which Sheet the data came from. Currently I have to import the Full Path and then remove everything except the SheetName.

It would be great if there was an option to output she SheetName as a field.

DavidP_0-1657614328613.png

11 Comments
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Yes, please! I wrote my own dynamic input macro with a Sheet Name Only option, because I got tired of parsing it from the path 😄 It would be so much nicer to have it in the standard tools.

Until we get this enhancement, it's possible to output the sheet name by adding a Pass a Field to the Output action in the Dynamic Input tool. Not ideal and only works with Dynamic Input, but it helps in some situations!

kelly_gilbert_0-1657737483612.png

Samantha_Jayne
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: New Idea

I have wished this in the past too @david, when you have to cut it from the end of the filename, you are like man, this would be so easy to add to the drop down... 😁

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That's a handy tip @kelly_gilbert 

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @DavidP 

Great idea.  I'm thankful for FileGetExt() and keep this snippet handy to parse sheetname

REGEX_Replace(TrimLeft(FileGetExt([FileName]),".xlsx"),'[[:punct:]]|[\$\+<=>\^`\|~]', "")

MattBenj
9 - Comet

The SharePoint Files Input tool allows you to add the sheet name from the Attach Metadata section. Seems like they should be able to do something similar with the standard input tools.

MichMatt_0-1659730207992.png

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Completely agreed!

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

can we have add-on column to tell whether sheet is hidden? or other similar ways.
sometime i just need to proceed with visible sheet. so if there have a way to identify them is good.

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I completely agree. It would save time parsing it every time we needed that information.

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

This is a good one!