Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Input Tool (2018.1) Excel Range Feature Removed

A recent post solution (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Can-somebody-tell-me-where-is-quot-Choose...) by @patrick_digan alerted me to a loss of functionality of the Input Tool.  In order to define a range of data via SQL to Excel (e.g. Sheet3$A1:C10) you need to know a work-around instead of just modifying the SQL.  The work-around is to modify the XML.  I would like to see that functionality returned to the Input tool.

Cheers,

Mark

22 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I agree. 

Chuck agrees tooChuck agrees too

EYamada
7 - Meteor

Agreed. Bring it back please!

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

agreed.

Nguyenpa
5 - Atom

Was looking for this functionality and thought I was going crazy in not being able to see it anymore.  Please bring it back!

Stevemcdonald
6 - Meteoroid

Agreed!! - Please bring back!!!

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

Hi All,

The workaround is actually quite easy, so we don't plan on bringing this back at the moment. You can just add to the end of the connection string:

Untitled.jpg

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ARich My experience has been that as soon as I type in the Sheet and range the first time, the sheet and range move out of the top box and into item 3 Table or Query. I can't seem to edit it once it moves there. Is this how it is for everyone? I notice in your picture that the Sheet1$A1:D20 is in both boxes. That's how it used to be for me, but not anymore on 2018.2.5. Here's how it looks currently after I enter my range:

Capture.PNG

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @patrick_digan,

Let me do some follow up on this one. Thanks for sharing!

And, if anyone else can share their behavior, that would be great!

Best,

Alex

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @patrick_digan,

I notice the same behavior, though I can still type it again and reset box 3... Are you able to edit by just adding the desired sheet and named range to the end of the connection string again? That should update the query in box 3...

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ARich I can type it again and reset box 3. I'm exaggerating here, but if I have 

File.xlxs`Really Long Name 8-22-18$A1:A2`

then I would have to retype that long sheet name every time I wanted to change the range. So if I just wanted to change from A1:A2 to A1:A3, I would have to retype the sheet name and range and include the ` and $ sign in the correct spots.