Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Generate Rows Tool Improvement

My friend @jdunkerley79 posted a terse idea:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/FieldName-constant-in-Generate-Rows-Tools-an...  it is inactive, but I want to extend his thoughts.

Rephrasing his idea as mine:  The tool defaults the expressions to use [RowCount].  If you should either "Update Existing Field" or change the "Create New Field" the default expressions MUST be updated manually.  Please update the expressions to make use of the new field.

Well, that doesn't always work!  Often it will.  But if you change the TYPE to date, it certainly won't.  In fact, I see many questions about joining from within a DATE  RANGE and the technique to build date rows from the range requires the use of DateTimeAdd().  Wouldn't it be nice (like your sample workflows) to modify the default expression based on the change of data type?  I think so.

If we were thinking easy.  Suppose you could have a RANGE function (dates or numerics) where you simply selected the from, to fields and gave the user the option to select the units.  Now the tool auto-configures itself to create all of the "days" between the from and to dates or "1.0" and it creates all unit values between the two numeric amounts.

These would be "Alteryx" worthy enhancements in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark

5 Comments
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I've posted a GENERATE DATE ROWS macro to the public gallery that provides assistance for dates.  If you'd like to see or use it, please do.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Generate-Date-Rows/5e31f42a826fd30ffcbf2c14 

Cheers,

Mark

mestevez1
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @MarqueeCrew  for this macro

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

We appreciate the feedback!

We’re doing our best to insure all product ideas are reviewed and commented on by Alteryx when the necessary criteria are met. Be sure to check out our updated Submission Guidelines for any board or criteria related questions!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Agree with your intent @MarqueeCrew  and @jdunkerley79   - this falls into the category that @Hollingsworth talks about frequently where we shave off a few seconds every time you use the tool, and it adds up quickly if Alteryx is your primary toolset / workspace.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes