The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Fix Directory Tools Relative Path

Hello,
Recently I have been working with directory tools to pick up specific files based on where the workflow is running from. 

For an example to help illustrate my idea/fix, I have a folder on my desktop called 'Idea', I have a simple workflow and a couple csv files:

TheOC_0-1647965537747.png

I have my directory tool setup pointing at this folder - to pick up all three csv files:

TheOC_1-1647965572216.png

Now i want to make the path relative. Currently the workflow is saved within this folder, so in order to pick up all files in this location, as expected i would want the directory to be changed to "." (for reference, https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/supplement/pathnames-explained-absolute-relative-u... ).

To make the paths relative, I use Options --> Advanced Options --> Workflow Dependencies

TheOC_2-1647965758754.png

I can then see my paths/dependencies:

TheOC_3-1647965802353.png

And hit 'all relative':

TheOC_4-1647965813130.png

It has changed to '.' as required, great. However when i hit okay and try to run the workflow:

TheOC_5-1647965845398.png

In order to get this to work, i have to add a "/" to the "." - making it "./".

This may seem like a small pain, however if a user does not understand relative paths, its not clear the difference between "./" and "." .

My suggestion would be either:
1) Directory tools with relative paths to the location are set to "./" 

2) MakeCleanPath() function (backend of the tool) is changed to allow for relative paths to the same location using "." .

Cheers,
TheOC

1 Comment
AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes