Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Custom Functions

I have been developing and accumulating custom functions over the years and they have proved to be very useful.  I am submitting these here.  I hope they are found to be beneficial.

Functions included in the attached file include:

• DateTime
    • StandardDate(String) - Transforms any valid string to the standard date format yyyy-mm-dd
  • File
    • FileDirDepth(Path) - Returns the zero based depth of the path (zero being the root)
    • FileGetFolder(Path, Depth) - Returns the folder name given the zero based depth in the path (zero being the root)
  • String
    • LeftPart(String, Separator) - Returns the left part of a string up to the first separator
    • RightPart(String, Separator) - Returns the right part of a string after the first separator
    • Split(String, Delimiter, Index) - Returns the zero indexed part of a delimited string
    • CleanSpace(String) - Trims string and replaces multiple spaces with a single space
    • UnicodeToASCIIBasic(String) - Replaces all Unicode Characters with ASCII Basic equivalents
  • Test
    • InList(Variable, List) - If Variable is in List returns True. List must be pipe delimited
    • IsValidEmail(String) - Returns True if string is a valid email format
    • IsUUID(String) - Returns True if string is a valid UUID

To make these functions available in Alteryx, place the attached xml file in the folder C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\FormulaAddIn if you have a standard installation. If the install is non-standard, find the \bin\RuntimeData\FormulaAddIn folder and place the attached xml file there.  Ateryx will need a restart for the functions to be available.

15 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @BetterFerret  - not sure if you've met @jdunkerley79 - but he has also developed a rich set of additional functions which are part of a package called Abacus.

https://jdunkerley.co.uk/2019/04/09/an-overview-of-the-alteryx-abacus-add-in/ 

Seems that you have a shared passion for this kind of work - may be worth collaborating?

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Very useful suggestions! These will make life so much more easy for non-tech users of Designer.

DrewCroft
7 - Meteor

I need a function like Split() and can use that in my local installation for Designer.  Is it possible to implement these functions for the server?

BetterFerret
8 - Asteroid

@DrewCroft 
These functions will work on any machine that Alteryx is installed on.  Just follow the instructions on where to place the FerretFunctions.xml file.
Cheers

Karben_Mejia
5 - Atom

@BetterFerret

I downloaded the xml, put it on the 

Karben_Mejia_0-1676479794792.png

folder

I restarted Alteryx, and I even restarted my laptop.

still does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Karben_Mejia_1-1676479869573.png

BetterFerret
8 - Asteroid

@Karben_Mejia Is it possible that you have 2 versions of Alteryx installed?  Alteryx does not usually install to a versioned folder name like Alteryx2020.3

Karben_Mejia
5 - Atom

Yes, I looked for the exe and found out it is installed in other place.

Your split function works like a charm

thank you

BetterFerret
8 - Asteroid

Glad I could help

Karben_Mejia
5 - Atom

Have you ever worked in something like FindString but with a third parameter to search for other instances of the string rather than only the first one?