Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Annotation colors

Documenting your Alteryx workflow is important because it allows others to understand and modify it as needed. To document your workflow effectively, you should provide detailed information about your inputs, outputs, tools used, and any assumptions or limitations.

When it comes to documentation, annotations are often more practical than the comments tool. However, the comments tool in Alteryx offers a useful feature that allows you to customize the background, font, and border colors. These customizable colors can be beneficial when reviewing workflows, as they help draw attention to specific details or notes.

In the screenshot below, you can observe that the highlighted comment attracts more attention compared to the annotation on the left side, even though they contain the same comment.

It would be great if the color customization features available in the comments tool could also be added to the annotations of any tool.

SaadNaser_0-1684052340300.png

11 Comments
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Agree. It is a great idea @SaadNaser!

SaadNaser
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos thank you so much Emil appreciated 

Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

ACE backed! Fantastic idea. This really will help highlight those areas in the workflow where humans need to interact versus understand without having to add comment tools.

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I can get behind this!  Good idea @SaadNaser 

SaadNaser
8 - Asteroid

thank you so much for your insight @Samanthaj_hughes 

SaadNaser
8 - Asteroid

@Watermark appreciated mate, thank you so much

drbrannock2
5 - Atom

Great idea - especially for those of us with high documentation requirements like audit departments!

martinding
13 - Pulsar

This would be handy!

AudreyMcPfe
7 - Meteor

I would love to see comments have Rich Text or HTML formatting options as well.  Ability to bold or change color of certain words would be very helpful.

ISully
6 - Meteoroid

I would like to see more functionality in the annotations! Changing the text would be great. I'd also like to be able to separate text that always shows on the workflow vs text that I have to hover or click on the tool to see.

So as an example, maybe I always see "Join File 1 and File 2" as an annotation.

But if I hover or click, I see a lot more information that I wouldn't want displayed in the annotation but I don't want to add comment boxes to every tool.