The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Alteryx error: “shared strings root=x:sst”

When I import an Excel file in to Alteryx I get an error: “shared strings root=x:sst” and Alteryx cannot read the file.

I can work around this by manually opening and saving the excel before importing it into Alteryx but this is not ideal, especially considering the automation implications.

I believe this may be happening because the XLSX generated by the source of the report has a prefix “x:” in all the tags in the Shared String XML embedded in Excel. See: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/open-xml/working-with-the-shared-string-table 

Essentially, it would appear Alteryx is not able to read generated Excel sheets which has the prefix "x:" (e.g. from a bot). The second file which has been opened and saved in Excel manually can be read by Alteryx correctly.

Example of file as exported from ”BOT”:

PDempsey_0-1685619453716.jpeg

How the same file looks once it is manually opened and saved:

PDempsey_1-1685619453721.jpeg

Ideally Alteryx would read the file as is, i.e. with the "X:SST" tag seen above as having to manually open and save the excel before it can be read is rather clunky.

Thanks!

6 Comments
Denisa_Grecu
8 - Asteroid

Hello. I am encountering the same issue, but I am trying to automate this on a daily basis. I cannot open and save the files each time. Any other way that could be solved?

jdinsmore
5 - Atom

Agreed with Denisa_Grecu and PDempsey, having to open and save the files each time severely hinders automation capabilities. Is it possible to have Alteryx read the file as is with the "X:SST" tag?

Denisa_Grecu
8 - Asteroid

Hello @jdinsmore . Meanwhile I had to build a PowerShell code that opens - saves - closes the file which is run prior the Alteryx workflow through a CTRL-M command. I am not sure if you still need this solution. 

jsun_06
6 - Meteoroid

If you are generating the .xlsx file from UiPath (rpa bot) then use the Excel activities (Excel Process Scope, Use Excel File, Save Excel File As) instead of read range/write range activities.

PDempsey
7 - Meteor

@jsun06 could you explain a bit further please?

jsun_06
6 - Meteoroid

@PDempsey Yes, if you're using UiPath (RPA) to create the .xlsx file dependency for an Alteryx workflow use the Excel activities package (activities listed above) to create/generate the .xlsx file. Do not use the Read Range/Write Range workbook type activities.