Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow Two Fields to be Compared in Basic Filter

Sometimes I want to set up a filter to compare the values in two fields in my data set. The basic filter option would be much more powerful and configuration would be quicker if this option allowed this.

For example, currently I must use a custom filter to check if Field1 and Field2 are equal:

Kenda_0-1685475507231.png

I would love to have the option to either use a static value in the basic filter (as you can now) or select a field name from a dropdown:

Kenda_1-1685475605251.png

3 Comments
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When I compare the two fields, I want this function. Those situation are many times.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I can't agree with you enough on this @Kenda - you're in a flow, drop a filter tool on, pick the field, pick the operator - then you have to go straight back to the manual formula tool.

@JarrodT has a great way that he's done this in the Server API tool - where there's a switch that allows you to select between operating on literals (values) vs. fields - and I think that would work very well here.

Or alternatively just make this smart - if you type something in then it's a literal - if you select something from the drop-down box then it's a field and Alteryx adds the [  ] to it to show you that it's a field.

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great idea! Been having several use cases that require this function. Saves some time!