Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

All

Tools should not error with Zero rows, often when working with macros it is possible to have a scenario where zero rows or columns is legitimate. Some tools are fine with this and some are not. In my case the Select Tool does not allow it so I have to create a Work around with a Text Input tool.

IraWatt_0-1661023969561.png

8 Comments
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Caveat: I don’t have designer open with this reply..

But is the error because of no valid columns instead of no records? For missing fields, I use the Crew macro ensure fields. But I agree there should be an option not to fail within in a macro.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ah good spot! yes in this case the Select Tool doesn't let you select 0 columns, thanks for the recommendation @cgoodman3.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

it would be nice to have this as a setting under the runtime settings potentially :) :

TheOC_0-1661160384162.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@TheOC I think your way would be the best of both, great idea! 

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I agree, this can be annoying sometimes and I think could be solved with @TheOC 's solution.

Another situation is when you build macros and a tool inside of the macro present an error due the lack of any column there but it works fine when you run the workflow because actually the field exist. So you go there, click at the tool and go and click in another place and boom! The error come back.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Yes, agreed! My workaround is to use a Dynamic Select instead of a Select. Dynamic Select doesn't complain about allowing zero columns through, even with an always-false condition.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Aahhh that is a great workaround! did not know about that, thanks @clmc9601