The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add Ability to Reorder Fields Being Joined in Join Tool

I think it would be nice to be able to more easily reorder fields that you're joining by in the Join tool.

Capture.PNG

For example, I have already joined by CASS_Address and CASS_City. After I did this, I realized I wanted to go back and join on Name, too, and I want that to be first. How the tool is configured now, if I want Name to be first, I must redo all of the drop downs. I would like to be able to add Name to the next set of open drop downs then use some arrow buttons to be able to move them up in the order (similar to the Summarize tool).

5 Comments
DultonM
11 - Bolide

I'll add that the value of wanting a certain order for join fields is that this order controls the sort order for the data coming out of the J output. So if you just need the J-output, you can sometimes avoid adding an extra sort tool afterwards by setting the sort order in the Join.

What would also be nice is for the Right drop down to automatically change if (a) the Left drop down is changed and (b) the Right contains the exact same field name. Currently, the Right drop downs only automatically populates with a field name matching the Left selection when you first fill out the Left drop down, but not when you change the Left selection.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Awesome additions @DultonM! I agree with everything you said and would love to see those enhancements as well!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Note the Sort tool has a similar functionality to what we'd like here. If I wanted to add Field2 just after Field1, I could do so by adding it to the bottom then using the arrows to move it above Field3 and Field4. In the Sort tool, I don't have to select Field2 from the second drop down then re-select everything that I want after it, as I do in the Join tool currently. 

Capture.PNG

The second problem @DultonM brought up is showcased in this example. If I want to add Field2 as the second field, I would have to re-select not only the left fields below it but also the right fields because Alteryx doesn't currently pick up these changes on the right side in the Join tool.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Not Planned

Thank you for your feedback and idea!

Our product team is currently working to properly evaluate and align tool updates and feature enhancement requests alongside out larger initiatives. Due to this we're unable to include this enhancement on a near future road map. To reflect this, I'm updating this idea to Not Planned. However, should this change or we be able to include this idea in a future road map, we will update this idea back to Under Review.

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

To return to that idea, if you want to improve that method of managing the order, you could consider adding the ability to move the key matches like we can with the fields in the select tool, by selecting a field with the left mouse button and moving while holding the right mouse button to the desired position. That would be much easier and intuitive, for me at least.😅