Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Active Directory AD Data Connector Needed

It would be great if we could have a Windows Active Directory data connector tool added to the standard Alteryx toolset.

MS Excel Power Query and PowerBI both can connect to Active Directory for use as a data source, but are both very cumbersome to use.  Having a connector in Alteryx that can read AD data into a workflow would be super helpful for a long list of use cases.  A couple that are top of mind for me are:

-Leveraging group membership info for dynamic distribution of reports or datasets

-Being able to build reporting and dashboards about the organization (useful for Tech audit, HR, etc.) 

I've seen links to an old project on GitHub of someone that started development on this, but the method (just copy these random .dlls into your program directory) is seriously frowned upon by any enterpise IT.  Would be great if Alteryx could pick up that work, polish it a bit and add it to the actual Alteryx Designer toolset.

30 Comments
mhayashi
7 - Meteor

I agree having a LDAP Active Directory Connector would prove useful with integrating AD objects in our workflows!

Currently PowerShell scripts running non-natively achieve what I need as a work around. However, if Alteryx wants to be leveraged in the Controls realm being able to integrate natively in the designer would be beneficial.

mhayashi
7 - Meteor

Any traction on this?

mcarrico
9 - Comet

+1 I have a process that needs to query AD and while I could look at the PowerShell route, this would make life far easier.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the feedback on this.

We'll take a look at effort around this and see if we can get this added to the future roadmap. In the meantime, please keep starring and commenting!

Best,

Alex

PieterB
5 - Atom

I am new to Alteryx but have to agree that it was the very first integration I was looking for.

It would be great if you have a solution for this.

I have tested the GITHUB solution but I keep on getting errors.

Thx 

DCPDamon
8 - Asteroid

Has anyone gotten a recent update on this feature?  We'd love to see it at our company.

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

I could really use this.

I'd like to avoid any third party drivers/modules that require costs, maintenance and uncertainty.

Jason

Woodhead
5 - Atom

I was under the impression there already was an AD connector. Definitely needed.  

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Yeah, having this would allow me to not have to call the server guys every month to run a report that they, inevitably, run slightly differently every time.  Please help! 

sanyajaleel
5 - Atom

I downloaded this plug in and saved this in the ALteryx-->bin-->plugins. But I am still unable to see LDAP input tool in alteryx. ny idea why is it so?