Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

.txt file into FTP server: keeping size formatting for text file in Blob

andrewplaice
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

Here I am back over my skiis again!  I built a process to output a .txt file to later be consumed by an FTP server.  It works great.  When manually uploaded the process consumed the file and did what was expected.

For my last step, I was given specifics on the FTP server only to learn I can't really output the file in current format to FTP... so it's time to learn.  The articles I have read don't seem to address this issue:

The FTP site is expecting a text file with given field lengths.  In some cases my data has null values and others the data lengths differ.  This doesn't matter when using a select tool as I just define the string field lengths before outputting to .txt.  How do I address this with blob?  The examples I see in prepping the data suggest I transpose and concatenate the data, but when I do this I lose field lengths and null value spacing.  

If Blob isnt required to upload a .txt file to FTP, I'd love to learn more.  Assuming I need to wade into the world of Blob how do I solve for this?

Let's assume my data looks like this (all string data with size 10 headers included)

Item TypeCommunicationStatusClientProduct
BILLINGINTERNINPROC123456CAN
TRAN PEND234567TAK

But I need it to looks like this in the .txt so that each previous field has a size of ten:

BILLING   INTERN    INPROC    123456    CAN

TRAN                PEND      234567    TAK

Can anyone help? 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
TessaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @andrewplaice 

Could you use a Formula tool to pad each field with 10 spaces?

Tessa Smithers

Sr. Technical Account Manager
Alteryx, Inc.

andrewplaice
8 - Asteroid

Hi.  I ended up solving this a different way.  The files saved and then a separate BAT file is executed to run an FTP script, which moves the files.  All still over my head, but with the  help of a colleague it is working.

Labels