Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

standard macros not working in parallel

salehalyahri
5 - Atom

I've developed a workflow in Alteryx comprising four primary macros, each containing nested standard macros. One of these macros involves Python code to execute a specific algorithm. Within the main macros, I've used different names and inputs/outputs for this Python-containing macro.

However, I've encountered an issue where the Python code, responsible for generating separate files, is only producing a single file instead of the expected four. Consequently, the macros are executing sequentially instead of concurrently, significantly extending the overall processing time from an anticipated 6 hours to 14-17 hours.

My objective is to optimize the workflow, ensuring all macros execute simultaneously. Each macro, including those employing Python tools, is a standard macro.

How can I configure these macros to run concurrently, enabling the Python code within each macro to generate its respective output file simultaneously without creating a bottleneck in the workflow?

1 REPLY 1
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@salehalyahri 

I encountered the similar issue, but could not find better way to run multiple Python tools concurrently.

In my personal investigation, it seems Python kernel repeatedly starts and stop for each Python tool, thereby putting a lot of Python tool and/or iteratively running Python tool would make execution time quite longer.

As a workaround, I configure the loop within Python tool as much as possible so that it would not start and stop Python kernel repeatedly. It makes my WF very faster than previous one using Batch macro having Python tool inside. Of course, I had to learn about how to make loop in Python code, but it worth.

Labels