Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

partially run a workflow until a selected tool

AdrianSanchez
6 - Meteoroid

I have ask chat GPT the next question:

"Is there a way to partially run a workflow? I would like to select a tool included in the workflow and have it only perform the necessary calculations until that tool returns a result."

And the answer was the following:

"Yes, in Alteryx, you can partially run a workflow using the "Run from here" function on the desired tool. This will execute all the tools prior to the selected tool and calculate all the necessary results for the selected tool, but it will not execute the subsequent tools. This is useful for debugging or verifying intermediate results in the workflow."

I have searched for the option but I cannot find it, so I think it may have been an incorrect answer. Nevertheless, do you think that option will be implemented in future versions?

4 REPLIES 4
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

This will execute all the tools prior to the selected tool and calculate all the necessary results for the selected tool, but it will not execute the subsequent tools. This is useful for debugging or verifying intermediate results in the workflow."

Its partially correct. Not sure where it got the name, but its basically describing the "cache and run" feature.

You can find it when you right click on a tool.

SPetrie_1-1675291345010.png

AdrianSanchez
6 - Meteoroid

It's really not the same, because if I have a flow of 100 operations and I only want it to be executed up to tool 50, if I cache there the flow will still run entirely. There are times when you have a huge flow but you just want to quickly check a result that is at the beginning, so with the option I was looking for you could possibly check it in 5 minutes instead of half an hour.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

There is already an idea submitted that's at the accepting votes stage - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Run-up-to-Selected-Tool/idi-p/925482

willemb
7 - Meteor

I'm not aware of that option, but you can achieve something similar by using a container. 

Put the subsequent part of your workflow (the part that you don't want to run) in a container, and use the top left button to disable the container:

willemb_0-1675332292588.png

Labels