Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

.odc file from PowerQuery Export

JamesFo
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone, 

I've exported a .odc file from a PowerQuery table by doing the following:

JamesFo_1-1620679236656.png

Which creates a .odc file:

JamesFo_0-1620679155839.png

I'd like to be able to open this in Alteryx, but I can't get it to work. Does anyone have experience connecting to this?

I found a couple of examples in the community already (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Access-ODC-file-via-Alteryx-couldn-t-f... ), but they are very high-level and unfortunately I can't work out the missing steps!

Does anyone have any idea how to connect to this and can walk me through a little more step by step?

Thanks,

James

7 REPLIES 7
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The piece that you are probably missing is how to find the ODBC Admin window. This is a program that is built into Windows. If you click on the search box in the bottom left of your screen (if using Windows 10), you can type ODBC and you will see the following

odbc.png

Then you will want to click on ODBC Data Sources (64-bit)

That will open up the next window where you will want to click on File DSN and then click on the Add button

file.png

The rest of the steps should be self explanatory from the article that you linked

JamesFo
8 - Asteroid

Hi Brandan, 

Thanks so much for the reply, and sorry for the delay replying.

I've found my way to the File DSN part in the ODBC admin window, and (I think successfully added it)

JamesFo_0-1622729474187.png

However when I go to create a connection:

JamesFo_1-1622729622656.png

I get the message no ODBC DSNs are available:

JamesFo_2-1622729664875.png

If I click on ODBC admin, I can see my file I created in the previous step is there and listed.

I'm sure I'm just missing a step - but I can't work out how to get it to appear in the dropdown. 

Are you able to nudge me in the right direction once again? 

Many thanks!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@JamesFo 

Can you try the "Generic ODBC" option at the bottom right? It may not be showing up as a SQL Server connection which is likely why it is being filtered out. Generic ODBC should pull up all of your ODBC connections and display it there. 

JamesFo
8 - Asteroid

So interestingly that makes some other ones appear, but not the one loaded as a file!

JamesFo_0-1622738468797.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Is it querying a database? If this is just a regular file you should be able to use an input data tool. What is the underlying database that it is pulling from? One alternative approach I would suggest is just setting up the DSN manually rather than exporting the file from power query. 

JamesFo
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the response Brandon, 

The Excel PowerQuery file looks up a csv - but there are multiple transformational steps undertaken in PowerQuery. Interested to see if these can be pulled through into Alteryx, or if the entire workflow needs recreating in Alteryx. 

So I was hoping that this tool would allow me to connect to the final stage of the powerQuery data (i've got no idea how to get the data out of powerQuery if not!).

Cheers,

James

JamesFo
8 - Asteroid

p.s. sorry for the delay in replying - I can't for the life of me get this to trigger emails when you reply!

Labels