Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

lookup with complex logic

sekarsdream
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I have a file where one particular column has so many items say like numbers which are separated by semicolon(;) .In current scenario(excel) what am doing is first am doing a text to column and separating it to multiple columns and with other file am vlookuping all the columns int e file  and getting the data , But with Alteryx am not sure how to do it easier as when i tried using text to column i need to specify how many columns i need to split(in this case i dont know how many as it may vary for each row) and even ig i give some random number how can i do a join (which is Vlookup in Alteryx as join just work on one column match).

Can anyone help me on this??

Regards

Rajasekar

9 REPLIES 9
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Can you please supply some sample input and output records?

Thanks,
Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
sekarsdream
8 - Asteroid

Here you go.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I am sorry, but I don't see the transformation in the output other than taking the input and converting it to columns of data.  Is that what you are trying to accomplish?  I've added a workflow (v11) that will do just that.

sekarsdream
8 - Asteroid

Yeah basically  am trying to split the columns and then lookup with every column in the output with oen another file which i have attached with this email

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

did you try the workflow that I included in my last post?

sekarsdream
8 - Asteroid

The problem with this is i cant vlookup with columns right , like some time the columns will be 5 some time 10 so every time i may need new workflow

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I have provided the dynamic field parsing like you requested.  I don't understand the logic that you are trying to achieve through alteryx.  if you can explain it, it can be done.  I understand that you want to do vlookups.  Please show an example finished output using this data.

Thanks,

Mark

alex
11 - Bolide

So instead of 24 columns only have columns for the matches?  If so, then is this what you are looking for?

tile2.JPG

I used the tile tool instead of multi-row to generate my sequence numbers.

tile1.JPG

alex
11 - Bolide

helps if I attach the workflow too

Labels