Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

is there a quick way to separate data for analysis

Bigmonki
8 - Asteroid

I have an input where the data is defined by a table ID. Each table has multiple rows, so I would like to use the table ID and separate it's data from the other tables. 

This is kind of like a multiple filter but I wanted to know if it is possible to achieve the split using fewer tools and be more dynamic. If I user a filter, every time there is a new table, I would have to go in and add a new filter.

May data looks like this:

Bigmonki_0-1649252265670.png

My workflow currently looks like this, but the filter isn't dynamic on the 'Table' name:

Bigmonki_1-1649252336098.png

Is there a tool that would allow me to implement the dynamic split based on the column?

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Bigmonki ,

You can wrap the entire thing in a batch macro and feed the grouped TableID column as the control parameter value. Attach this to the filter and you then will have a macro processing each one individually.

However, depending on what you want to there may be other ways of handling it. 

M.

Bulien

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Bigmonki 

What is the goal why do you want to split it and what do you want after splitting the data?

We will be able to better help once we get a better idea 🙂

Bigmonki
8 - Asteroid

The data comes out of the system in one file, but each table needs to be processed and sorted separately as there are different fields. Once the data is sorted, it is then all brought back together.

Depending on the system, some data provided means they have different files.

nitin_l
7 - Meteor

Is it okay if you put a Drop Down containing a list of all the TABLE IDs , so that you can select a dynamic input. You can use dropdown tool in Alteryx for that 

nitin_l_0-1649255120485.png

Click on magic wand button beside "Run" button which says "Run as Analytical App". let me know if this helps

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Bigmonki ,

can you provide us with an example?

Without seeing what you're trying to do it's very difficult for us to help.

M.

Bulien

Labels