Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how to change multiple, uniquely-named columns to rows?

jenniferallen
7 - Meteor

Hello, I'm new here and don't really know how to ask this, but I have a spreadsheet with multiple columns that I want to change to rows, but not summing or concatenating the data. Instead I want a new row for each different product, something like:

ORIGINAL:      
 PRODUCT 1PDT NAME 1INFO 1PRODUCT 2PDT NAME 2INFO 2
GROUP AA1AA1AAA1A2AA2AAA2
GROUP BB1BB1BBB1B2BB2BBB2
GROUP CC1CC1CCC1C2CC2CCC2

and I'm trying to get it to the below

WANT TO CHANGE TO:  
 PRODUCTPDT NAMEINFO
GROUP AA1AA1AAA1
GROUP AA2AA2AAA2
GROUP BB1BB1BBB1
GROUP BB2BB2BBB2
GROUP CC1CC1CCC1
GROUP CC2CC2CCC2

but am completely stuck. I think it's possible but could be wrong :) any help or insights would be appreciated! Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Without seeing how your actual columns are named, its a bit difficult to give a full answer.

I took a stab at it assuming that the names are all the same, but with varying numbers associated with them ( Name 1, Name 2, etc) and normalized them by removing the numbers.

Even if this doesnt 100% solve your issue, I hope it at least gets you started in the right direction.

example.PNG

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Try the attached workflow

Screenshot 2023-07-12 144815.png

Chris

jenniferallen
7 - Meteor

Thank you! This definitely helps a ton, not only what I'm trying to do but also in my understanding. Much appreciated!

jenniferallen
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much! It did not even occur to me to use the union tool for this, great idea! Unfortunately, I have close to 300 columns, in groups of 7, so that's a lot of filter tools however this is great and I have other uses for it. Much appreciated!

Labels