Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

filter out data based on multiples of information in one column

maygross
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm currently building a report to track the billing cycles for my business. We have multiple customers with more than one billing cycle, and I would like to only capture the customers that have all their billing cycles closed, and exclude the ones that have 1 or more open cycles. The data looks like this:

bill cyclecustomerstatus
1abc 

closed

2abcopen
3abcclosed
1xyzclosed
1lmnoclosed
3xyzClosed

I want to get it to exclude any customers that still have open cycles.

bill cyclecustomerstatus
1xyzclosed
3xyzclosed
1lmnoclosed

What would be the best approach here? I know that cross tab wouldnt be helpful because the values I need (status) arent numerical. I cant really filter out the closed status's because that would still include the customers with open cycles, and I only want the ones who have all of their cycles closed.

Thanks,

May

2 REPLIES 2
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@maygross One way of doing this with the multi-row tool

image.png

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

There may be another way to do it, but what I did was first, normalize the data so "closed" was the same as "Closed." Then I used a Summarize tool to group by customer and status then another Summarize tool to group by customer and concatenate statuses. Next I used a Filter tool to only allow records to pass if they do not have the word "Open" in the concatenated status. Last thing is I joined back to the original data on customer and got what you're looking for.

All Closed.PNG

All Closed Output Table.PNG

Labels