Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

adding fields into file name created by render tool

JoeMolinaro
7 - Meteor

I am looking to pass Fields into the name of a .PDF Output File that is created with a Render Tool.

I have the Fields I want passing to the Render Tool, Last_Name and First_Name.  In this case "Mad and Chris"

pic 1.png

I have the Render Tool configured to page break to create a new .PDF based on what it is Grouped by Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID.

pic two.png

But I was wondering if there was a way to Prepend the File Name not with what it is Grouped By but rather the Two Fields with a comma and a space between them.

"Last_Name, First_Name" or "Mad, Chris"

I see in the Configuration of the Render Tool that it is quite easy to prepend the File Name if what you Group By is what you want included as the Prepend …

pic 3.png

… but is there a way to prepend Last_Name, First_Name to the FIle Name without having to create a field that would be the Last Name, First Name and then be forced to Group By that field?  Grouping by the field Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID is working in that I am getting the right data into the correct .PDF's.  However, down stream processes will be looking for files that begin with Last_Name, First_Name .

If I created an additional Field called Last_Name, First_Name I would theoretically get the same results in the various .PDF's as I would get by Grouping by the field Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID .  However, there is always the possibility that there are two report recipients with the same name that would have different Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID 's

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Community

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JoeMolinaro 

It seems like you know what you need to do, but just to confirm a few things:

- You'll have to create the field ahead of time if you have more than one field you'd like to be included in the file name.

- It seems like there isn't a way around using the Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID field (as you said, first+last may not always be unique). Seems like you'll have to write all three fields into the output

- Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID so it's uniquely identifiable.

- First+Last for the "down stream processes". 

JoeMolinaro
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the response.  The Fields do already exist for First_Name and Last_Name but what is not clear to me is how to configure the Render Tool to include them in the file name.  Do I need to create an entirely new field to Group By in the Render Tool that would be "Last_Name, First_Name

Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID" and then Group By that instead of just Grouping by Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID like the way it is configure now.  Or can I still Group By Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID the way it is now but somehow just add those fields. Last_Name  and a comma and then First_Name at the beginning of the file name somehow without grouping by them?
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If you're already grouping by the unique value of Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID, then that doesn't need to change. Just add a Formula tool before the Render to create the string [Last_Name]+"_"+[First_Name]+"_"+[Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID] and use that new field in the Render tool to Group On. Of course it's always a good idea to run a test on a sample of records before letting a new process loose on the business process at hand. 

JoeMolinaro
7 - Meteor

Hello

The formula in front of the Render Tool is what I was missing.  I was not aware that you could use a formula tool in front of a Render Tool.  I created a new field in the Formula Tool called Recipient ID that incorporated the Last_Name and First_Name like I needed and then also the Workday_EE_Budget_Chg_ID like you suggested and this gives me the File Name that I am looking for.

Thank you

Labels