Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Wrapping Text

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow where I'd like for two of the columns to wrap the text in the output.  Specifically....

1) Consolidate & wrap Client Name, Address Lines 1, 2, 3, 4, and City State Zip

2) Wrap Comment values.  note: this comment value will remain static, the only exception being the quarter/year value, which will always be four characters but will change from one quarter to the next:  i.e. 3Q23, 4Q23, 1Q24, etc.

Attached is the workflow I've begun and also attached is a screenshot of what the desired output should look like.  Any guidance on how this can be accomplished?  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Jake5 One way of doing this

image.png

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for responding, but when I run your workflow, the output looks like the attached screen capture.  I see that when I select columns A and C to wrap I then get the desired format your formula tool has specified, but is there a way to preserve this format on the output file?  I did update the output to preserve formatting for column/cells A1 to C1000 but that didn't seem to work.  Any thoughts on that part?  

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Jake5 Double click the excel cells , you will see the records in proper format

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

Understood and I see the desired wrap when double-clicking on a cell.  But what I'm trying to understand is why it's not preserving the wrap format when opening the file and initially viewing the data.  Is the only option to have the end-user format those two columns to wrap each and every time they run the workflow?  

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Jake5 When you double-click the cells in Excel it will get refreshed, I think Alteryx can't refresh the Excel cells. Let me see If I can find some alternative for this

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

So I think I figured it out finally.  If I double click on the first record, hit enter, apply format painter to the remaining cells beneath and save/close the file, when I run the workflow thereafter it preserves the wrapped formatting.  Interesting that will preserve it but the "Wrap Text" command does not.  Either way, this should meet the need and I'll mark your solution as accepted.  Thank you!

Labels