Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Wanted to alternative solution of Imputation tool

EN6924
10 - Fireball

Hello All,

As we know that we use Imputation to replace a specified value within one or more numeric data fields with another specified value (like average, median, mode).

Lets say I have a single column containing 10 records, 5 are non null and 5 are null. Using Imputation tool I can produce a result replacing nulls and will display the avg of other 5 non null values.

I can achieve the same result with combination of other tools like mentioned below -

EN6924_0-1658993601028.png

Will there be any shortest way to produce that same result? Need help.

3 REPLIES 3
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @EN6924,

You can't do something a lot quicker. I did a sample and just skip the formula part since you can escape this part, but I don't see many more improvement.

csclark
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @EN6924

Is there any particular reason why you're looking at other methodologies? Are the workflows you're using the imputation tool running more slowly?

As @Ladarthure suggested, using the formula tool could definitely yield improvements. Part of the reason for why this is, the Imputation tool is actually a macro with many underlying processes happening underneath the hood. You can actually see all of these by right-clicking on the imputation tool and "Open Macro". This is also why you might use a Formula tool over the Data Cleansing tool when you only need to make 1 or 2 replacements to the data. You might want to check out the article I attached, "Alteryx Tips and Tricks", which goes deeper into ways that you can optimise your workflows!

csclark_0-1659007771725.png

csclark_1-1659007805041.png

All the best,

Chris Clark
Alteryx Solutions Engineer

EN6924
10 - Fireball

No such specific reasons.

I was simply asked that during an interview, so I attempted solving it and wanted to know further.

Thanks

Labels