Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Using the Dynamic Input tool to pull in multiple files

laurennewton
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx community friends!

Here is my dilemma... I have a batch macro that takes information from a workflow and finds matches from a directory location that identifies files that have the same file name as an identifying field name. From this batch macro any files that match come through and then I want to open those files up. So I added a dynamic input tool on but it's only opening the first file and reading its contents but not all the files. So in the picture below I have two files from the directory that come through and now I need to open both those files up but it is only opening the first file. Any recommendations?

laurennewton_0-1680120414336.png

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @laurennewton, is Alteryx throwing up a warning when you try and run this, perhaps around the number of fields? When using the Dynamic Input we need to ensure that all of the files you're trying to bring in follow the same schema, including the name, number of, order and data types of all of the fields.

laurennewton
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath no errors get thrown up! the number of fields should be the same and data types. the file names and the number of records within the file will be different however. 

DataNath
17 - Castor

@laurennewton the 1,745 records you're seeing coming out of the Dynamic Input - is that the number of records you're expecting/that you have in file 1 or could it be the case that you are actually bringing in both files but you're perhaps not outputting the filename as a field, so it looks like just one of them? Some extra screenshots/context would be great if not!

laurennewton
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath so out of the 1,745 records 57 fields are populated and the file name comes out with them (i.e. file 1). i've attached a screenshot below of the fields that come in after the last row if that helps. 57 records is what i expect to see coming out of test group 1's file. the second test group would have 95 records  but the file name row only indicates "test group 1".

DataNath
17 - Castor

@laurennewton and you're definitely not getting a warning like this?

DataNath_0-1680126924311.png

From your screenshot it looks like you have a few fields (F35-F39) which you may need to highlight and delete in the Excel as they could be throwing off the 2nd file. Failing that, it's difficult to do much more in the way of troubleshooting without seeing more of the workflow/configurations - Dynamic Input issues do mainly arise from schema differences though, even if they're not obvious.

Labels