Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

(Urgent! No idea yet) Parsing a nested xml file

tamluenwai
7 - Meteor

I want to perform a XML parsing, and I would like to know each element they are under which parent element.

Expected output

NameValueParent Name
formidABC0123form
captchaMethodAA_Helloform
trnidAA012363QPS2RTVSsubmit

Thanks so much !!

5 REPLIES 5
kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

Hi @tamluenwai 

Is this what you are looking for as output?

XMLTest.png

If yes, please find my workflow for your reference.

tamluenwai
7 - Meteor

Hi kelvin, thanks for your help. The output of your workflow is closely fulfill my expected output.

But I got some limitation of my workflow:

For the input tools configuration,

I have to set the file format as "Extensible Markup Language (*.xml)", instead of "Comma Separated Value (*.csv). Here's the configuration and the output result of after executing the input tool.

q1.png

Subsequently, I have dragged a "XML Parse" tool after the "Input tool", and the configuration and output as follow:

q2.png

Therefore, I would like to know how can i perform the same result as your workflow based on this 2 limitation.

Again, thanks for your help. I have attached my workflow in this message down below for your references.

tamluenwai
7 - Meteor

Hi Kelvin,

I got another xml file, with 3 different child "form", "submit", "data" under the parent "submission", I found that I am not able to obtain the same result by using your workflow. It seems that Alteryx cannot parse the XML with 3 different child elements?

I have attached the latest XML file in this message down below for your references. Thank you for your kind assistance, looking forward to hearing from you soon.

kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

Hi @tamluenwai,

It's a little tricky to use the Input Tool for XML type with complicated XML format.

I have modified the workflow based on your requirements.  Couple things that I have changed here:

1. Changed the Input Tool for XML type with Return Root Element and Return Outer XML options checked.

2. Since it's a nested XML format, there will be an additional Submission element.  I used a Filter tool to filter that element out.

3. Used Regex to split the element into multiple rows.

Hope it works for your use case.

tamluenwai
7 - Meteor

@kelvin_law1 

Thanks for your help, it works perfectly !!

Labels