Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating Filter Field Using App

simon_carleton1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I am looking to create an app interface where the user can update both the field in the filter and the value of that field. This will mean I don't have to create multiple filters to allow the user to filter by whichever field they are needing. 

So the user might need to filter by field A, and choose a value of 10 to filter. Or maybe they need to filter by field B, and the value they input into the filter is "London". 

I am able to use a text box and action tool to update the value in the filter (right hand side of the screenshot below). 

But I'm trying unsuccessfully to set up the interface tools to allow the user to choose the field for the filter. 

I have a select tool which connects to a list box interface tool to create a drop down list of the fields the user may choose to filter by. 

I would like then the field that the user chooses, to be selected as the field in the filter. I try to update value but the filter receives a list of fields and true / false next to them, rather than simply updating the field name to the selected field name. 

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 114255.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Can you mark that as a solution.

Note - the differences here are:

workflow 1) searches for field. 2) searches for value. 3) updates value) - 3 inputs

workflow 1) searches for field 2)  updates value 2 inputs.

Wasn't fully sure which one you needed.

simon_carleton1
6 - Meteoroid

thank you for those! Going to have a play around with them to learn what currently to me looks like witchcraft :)

thanks again!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I realized there's another decent way with 3 text tools/3 text inputs and a join. text input 1 is for field. 2 is for current value. 3 is for replaced value. 

you'd use a recordid/transpose - and then join on name/value with text input 1/2. You'd set value with formula tool/text input 3. drop the new columns. use a union- crosstab/rename.

Labels