Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Update data from 1 set to another

Learner09
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I am trying to update the correct data from Data2 to Data1. Please see the details in the attached example and guide me to design a flow.

7 REPLIES 7
rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@Learner09 is this what you are looking for?

Solution.png

Learner09
8 - Asteroid

Hello @rzdodson thank you for the help. My original data set has a different record count. I mean my original Data Set 1 had 12800 lines and Data Set 2 had 14987 records, that why the flow you provided did not give the correct results. It only joins 2000 records.

Learner09
8 - Asteroid

@rzdodson is there any other way that I can update the correct number b/w these two datasets?

rzdodson
12 - Quasar

The file above had 60 records for both DataA and DataB, which is why the specific approach was utilized.

For your use case, you need to figure out what the correct MIN USD and MIN LC is by the specific ID/NAME/ORDER# combination since you have multiple instances where the ID/NAME is duplicated throughout the data set. Once known, you can join the two data sets, drop the MIN USD and MIN LC out of the original data (those will be the instances of those fields flowing out of the L anchor), and keep the new instances (flowing out of the R anchor of the Join tool).

You can also utilize Find and Replace as a substitute, but it may be confusing in your use case because there isn't a unique attribute associated to each record.

Learner09
8 - Asteroid

@rzdodson I am facing the same problem because both datasets have different records and it is very difficult to pick the unique key for 12k lines. 

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Here is another idea. It is definitely important to ensure that the join occurs in a unique way. The question that needs to be answered is how do you know which [MIN USD] and [MIN LC] from Data A need to be updated from Data B?

Screenshot.png

putu_w_erata
8 - Asteroid

From your sample dataset it looks like you can use your table B as your unique key after summarizing

Labels