Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Union data from multiple files from a single directory - different header and sheet names

ndani
7 - Meteor

Hi, I'd like to union multiple excel files from a single directory. Only one sheet needs to be combined. However, that one sheet name is different in every file. Also one of the column containing the measure values is different reflecting the month the data is collected in. I am new to Alteryx and would appreciate any guidance.

I have also attached example files.

ndani_0-1600459891207.png

4 REPLIES 4
ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @ndani ,

Will this work for you. an idea.

Make sure you replace the path of the datainput tool to your path. Also remember to change the dynamicinput tool template to your file.

Let me know if any issues

ndani
7 - Meteor

Hi @ImadZidan ,

Thanks for your response and the solution. This worked great. But in my actual data set the filenames are not necessarily like what I had provided in my sample. Instead are following the pattern below...

XX_YYY_ZZZ_data_202006.xlsx

XX_YYY_ZZZ_data_202007.xlsx

XX_YYY_ZZZ_data_202008.xlsx

Also the corresponding sheet names in these files are 202006, 202007, 202008 for example...

When I applied the flow to the real dataset I get an error. I assume that is because of the filename pattern change. Can we do anything to accommodate these names?

ndani
7 - Meteor

Never mind.. I was able to adjust the Parse block and get the data merged for my real dataset. 

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @ndani ,

Apologies, wasn't available during the day.

Well done on figuring this out. I guess it gives better learning and understanding, at least this my experience.

Anything please shout.

Labels