Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Unexpected results with Join

Mikegoldnj
6 - Meteoroid

I've been attempting a join between two Excel files with the exact same number of records however, one file has a few additional fields that I need to combine with file number one. Joining on common field of "invoice number". 

When I've done this in the past, resulting output file has contained the same number of records but with the additional fields. Now I am getting an output with over 9 million records rather than the 300k expected. 

The last time I ran the workflow, I received this error:  "Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: You have found a bug. The pipe has been ended."

I have not seen this before.

5 REPLIES 5
Luke_C
17 - Castor

It sounds like you have a cross join happening. Do the fields your using for the join have duplicate values in them? 

Mikegoldnj
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, there may be multiple records with the same check number. I thought I was resolving that via the Unique tool but that did not seem to work as expected either.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Mikegoldnj 

If possible it would be helpful for you to share some sample data, the part of the workflow having issues, or maybe some screenshots of your tool configurations.

Mikegoldnj
6 - Meteoroid

I think I just resolved this  by moving the placement within the workflow of the Unique tool. Seems I am now ending up with the output file having the correct number of records.

Still a bit puzzled by the "bug" error message.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Got it, that makes sense. I wouldn't worry too much about that bug message if it was a one time event and not constantly reproducible. 

Labels