Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Unable to read .xlsx files

Deba93
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I am unable to read .xlsx files and am getting the below attached error. The file itself is .xlsx format but the error is showing unable to read .xls format

Deba93_0-1648281055505.png

I am using normal input tool followed by dynamic rename and select tools

Deba93_1-1648281103879.png

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Deba93 Can you try with another .xlsx file? 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Deba93 

If you're getting that error, then the file is in .xls format and with an incorrect extension OR you specified .xls as the file type.  A true .xlsx is just a zipped file with a .xlsx extension.  To check if it in.xlsx format, rename the file to filename.zip and try to open it with Winzip, 7zip or whatever is available on your machine.  It should open with no problem.  If it doesn't open using a zip file program, then it's most likely in .xls format (Excel 1997-2003) and you'll need to install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable to access it.    

Dan

Deba93
8 - Asteroid

@danilang yes I tried doing that and got the below error. How do I change it to .xlsx? I mean as of now I am seeing it as .xlsx only

Deba93_0-1648303700102.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Deba93 

The Path Too Long error means that you're hitting the 260 file path limit which is still used in some cases.  Rename the file to use a shorter name or copy the file to a shorter path like "c:\temp".

Dan

Deba93
8 - Asteroid

Okay so apart from changing the files to .xlsx format need to shorten the path as well. Cool thanks will try and let you know @danilang 

Labels