Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Turning Negative Values to Zero

MOlinski
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I am trying to turn all of my negative values to zero in the column, please see my equation below:

IF [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date] > 0 THEN [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date] ELSE 0 ENDIF

I keep getting the error "Parse Error at char (40): Invalid type in operator (expression #1).

I want to say that some figures in this column are negative, some are positive, and some don't have a figure (I would like to keep the blank cells, blank.

Thank you,

5 REPLIES 5
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @MOlinski 

This part "Parse Error at char (40): Invalid type in operator (expression #1)" is referencing the operator '>'. You are getting the error because the field in question is a string. Use a ToNumber wrapper and you should be good to go. 

IF ToNumber([YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date]) > 0 THEN [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date] ELSE 0 ENDIF

Cheers!

Phil

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I prefer:

max(tonumber([your data]),0)

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @MOlinski 

I just realized that you also wanted to maintain empty cells, so slight modification to your formula with incorporating @MarqueeCrew's solution will give you the desired results. 

IF IsEmpty([YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date]) THEN [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date] ELSE Max(ToNumber([YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date]),0) ENDIF
Kamran1991
11 - Bolide

You need to convert the column in Number then apply this formula 

IF [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date]< 0 THEN 0 ELSE [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date] ENDIF

Thanks!!

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

This assumes that you're trying to update the existing field [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date] and that the field is set to one of the STRING field types:

IF ISEMPTY(TRIM([YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date]))
THEN [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date]
ELSIF TONUMBER([YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date] > 0
THEN [YTD Accr Calc after Taken to Date]
ELSE '0' ENDIF

Labels