Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Truncated characters

LeoMessi
7 - Meteor

One of my text fields is cutting down the text in output of one of the columns.

Do we have a workaround so that I don't loose any of my text output?  

6 REPLIES 6
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @LeoMessi ,

How do you know it is cutting down the text? Are you getting an error message? Sometimes Alteryx warns you that a cell contains truncated characters but the data can still be there - you just need a Browse tool to see it all.

Otherwise, check the size of your string fields. Set them to V_Strings or VW_Strings and make sure the size is set properly - 2147483647 is the max. If this size is still too small (which will only be if you have a lot of text) then you'll have to break it up.

LeoMessi
7 - Meteor

Thanks for getting back @FinnCharlton, I used the browse tool to copy and paste data in an excel, and is giving me partial text. I already tried altering the size of V_Strings or VW_Strings, it is still giving me the same output. 

Below is a screenshot:

LeoMessi_0-1683035530257.png

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@LeoMessi How long are your strings? Could this be an Excel cell size limit issue? Maybe try outputting using an Output Data tool rather than copying from the browse results.

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @LeoMessi 

1. Consider adding an Auto Field Tool to your process before output or browse - it should help you manage the optimal field size.

2. Alternatively, add a Select Tool and investigate the current field type and size for your current columns - sometimes you may have an item read in as a byte, but downstream treatments make it such that you need more size than a byte.

I hope you find this helpful - Cheers!

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @LeoMessi ,

I used the browse tool to copy and paste data in an excel, 

Do you mean you copied from Result window to Excel?

(It it is not the case, please disregard this post.)

If that is the case, the result window only displays up to 256 characters.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1683105119101.png

If you copy [Data] column from the 2nd record, you will only see 256 characters.

But it does not affect the data on the memory (as you see the length as "257" above.)

If you output the data to a file, you will see the whole data with 257 characters.

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

All,

I wanted to say that it's not the Data Type, but the Data Size as you can change the size using a select tool, as the size was 9, and when I went to 30, tis eliminated my issues with truncation. This does, as mention, increase the overall size of the data in the table.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 153450.pngScreenshot 2023-12-06 153639.png

Labels