Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Transpose every n rows (multiple columns)

thrnma
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I go into a directory and pull all the excel files which contain a specific sheet and it puts the data in the following format

CompletionValue
Yes£100
Yes£50
No£0
CompletionValue
Yes£150
Yes£25
No£0
CompletionValue
Yes£300
Yes£5
No£0
CompletionValue
Yes£125
Yes£125
No£0

I would like to be able to split the data every time it gets to the title column (Completion and Value) and then copy it over to a new column, so it looks like this:

CompletionValueCompletionValueCompletionValueCompletionValue
Yes£100Yes£150Yes£300Yes£125
Yes£50Yes£25Yes£5Yes£125
No£0No£0No£0No£0

I need to do it an undefined number of times (as some months there will be 4 data sets, the next it could be 40), so ideally the workflow should be scalable.

Please can someone help me to do this?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I would suggest:

jdunkerley79_0-1601632812412.png

Start with a couple of multi-row formulas to create a Group (blocks of 4) and a Row (1-4 within a Group)

Then Transpose the two fields

Make a new name which consists of Group and Field Name

Cross tab to make the table form

Sample attached

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @thrnma ,

if the number of rows does not change, you could use the Make Column tool:

2020-10-02_12-05-12.png

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hadn't seen the MakeColumns tool before - don't spend enough time in the lab!

Good solution

thrnma
7 - Meteor

@jdunkerley79 

Thank you for this. I used it to fit to my bigger data set that I am using and it split the data where I needed it to, but then it did not put the columns next to each other like in your workflow

thrnma_0-1601633594052.png

thrnma_1-1601633645350.png

thrnma_3-1601633691080.png

Instead it put the first 66 rows, then made a new column and put the next 66 rows in row 67-132 and then the next 66 rows in row 133-195.

Do you know why it has done this?

thrnma
7 - Meteor

@RolandSchubert 

Thank you for this. Is there a way that I can get it to automatically change the number of columns. In this example, I need 4 sets of columns, but do I have to manually change the number of columns in the make columns tool if I want to do it for, say, 15 columns or can I set it up to change automatically? Maybe based on how many times a word appears in a column (such as make as many columns as the word Value appears)?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

On the second Multi Row formula tool make sure Group is ticked, then I think it will work.

thrnma
7 - Meteor

@jdunkerley79 

Brilliant! That is perfect, thank you!

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@RolandSchubert — Good use of "Make Columns".  👍

Labels