Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Too much loading time with multiple left joins

Kellerasiate
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have a SQL-Data with 12 Left Outer Joins. I need to replicate the SQL Code using Alteryx.

I tried to join one table and then link "L" and "J" with the Union tool. After that, join the next table with the before used Union tool. Then Union again "L" and "J" and then join this Union with the next table with Join and so on. Alteryx is already working since 30 minutes since I clicked the run-button. Is there a faster solution to this? Maybe with Multiple Join? Not every table is linked with the same key´s, so I assume that this solution is not possible. Any suggestion what I can make to fasten this process? 

I have already pre-selected the columns, I need, but still...

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi Kellerarsiate,

Have you tried using the in-DB tools? It would probably be quicker to do all the joining using those, and then using a "Data-Stream Out" tool once all those left joins have been done.

Capture.PNG

Try and filter and summarize your data as much as you can before using the datastream out tool. This should speed things up. (...I have lots of red error signs because I'm not actually connected to data in the screen shot)

Alternatively - depending on how many records you have and if you expect the same number of records to come out of the join - a "Find Replace" tool configured to "append fields" is often quicker than a join and union.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

One more thought - if you already have working SQL code you should just be able to feed this into Alteryx through the Input Data tool.  That way you won't have to recreate any of the logic.

Whether that's worth doing or not depends on how comfortable you/others in your organization are with maintaining SQL.

Labels