Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tile tool- Equal Records Method- How to dynamically update Number of Tiles?

gcosta
7 - Meteor

Hi guys, good morning.

Looking for some advices here. I am using the Equal records tile method to group my dataset. Perfect! However, the number of tiles in this process changes every once in a while.

So, instead of having to manually change this value in the tool, is there a way that I can dynamically update this value using i.e. the count of records tool which contain the number of tiles that I would like to group my dataset every time I am running the process. 

Really simple example attached.

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @gcosta 

Turn it into a macro and feed the number of tiles you need in to it as a control parameter:

DavidSkaife_0-1662019888767.png

DavidSkaife_1-1662019927787.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Great suggestion from @DavidSkaife! Only thing I'd add is, especially if this is going to be applied to a large data set, you may just want to use a Summarize tool with a count (or count Distinct depending on requirement) rather than Count Records as the latter is also a macro itself and will lead to decreased performance at scale.

gcosta
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much @DavidSkaife. That makes a lot of sense.

Yes, I agree with you, @DataNath  I will make sure to change that in the workflow  as well.

Thank you again!!

gcosta
7 - Meteor

@DavidSkaife, could you please share your workflow? 

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

@gcosta

Edit: d'oh i attached the wrong one....sorry! Here is the right one

Labels