Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Text to columns

Kingazawora
8 - Asteroid

Hello I have a file, which is txt file. The issue if that I would like to read the latest file from the folder and have it done as text to columns.

It was always done in Excel and I wanted to follow the same logic in Alteryx but the issue if that Alteryx moved rows to left when I load that to Alteryx:

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Is there a quick way to solve the following:

1. I want the process to choose the latest file from folder

2. I use the dynamic input tool 

3. Choose tools to make text to columns  based on defined headers - self described

4 REPLIES 4
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

hey @Kingazawora 

See solution attached using a combination of directory + dynamic input and dynamic rename to get your data parsed. You just need to replace the folder path in the directory tool and edit dynamic input to provide a template file. Including a screenshot of the dynamic input configs below.

gautiergodard_0-1667070115955.png

gautiergodard_1-1667070215982.png

Hope this helps!

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

I tried this differently.  Seems like there were special characters in the file so I tried stripping them and then used a File\Field layout.

TimN_0-1667083606277.png

Kingazawora
8 - Asteroid

Many thanks! Works!

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

@Kingazawora kindly accept the solution(s) which helped you to make it easier for others with similar issues to find the answer on the future !

Labels