Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Text to column field name is cutting off data, looks like after max 236 characters

BlaseG
7 - Meteor

I'm using azure data lake- and have a workflow set up to pull data, and split a csv based on | delimiters

I noticed the headers were not flowing across, and it looks like it's because the "column to split" is being truncated to only show 236 out of 900 characters.  

Anyone else run into this?  If so what did you do to fix it?

Also- the first column is a string of the entire input, maybe related to headers not flowing properly, but I don't think so..

In screenshot 1- csv with the header row, you can see there are characters after "ItemDescrip"

In screenshot 2- you can see how the column name is truncated, and this then impacts the flow to headers

In screenshot  3- you can see how the headers look, and is cut off after "ItemDescrip"

In screen shot 4- you can see how the first column includes all data in that row, but then is also split out.  Reporting company should only have BE08, not sure why

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

In your Input Data tool:

• un-check the box for First Row Contains Field Names
  • make sure Field Length is large enough

After your Text to Column tool, use a Dynamic Rename to take the field names from the first row of data

Or can you just use the pipe symbol   |   as a delimiter in your Input Data tool?

Chris

BlaseG
7 - Meteor

Thanks Chris!

I tried to those methods but no luck.  It's weird I'm used to selecting the | as delimiter when using directory/dynamic input method. 

For some reason when selecting | as delimiter in azure data lake file input tool, it returns this error, which makes no sense because it is pipe delimited..

Azure Data Lake File Input (123) The DType <class 'numpy.dtype[float64]'> could not be promoted by <class 'numpy.dtype[datetime64]'>. This means that no common DType exists for the given inputs. For example they cannot be stored in a single array unless the dtype is `object`. The full list of DTypes is: (<class 'numpy.dtype[float64]'>, <class 'numpy.dtype[datetime64]'>)

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I haven't used the Azure Data Lake input tool.

From the error message, it looks like some attempt is being made to convert a field with data type Float to data type DateTime?

Sorry I can't help more.  If no one else has a suggestion, Alteryx Support should be able to help.

Chris

BlaseG
7 - Meteor

It doesn't make sense to me because the file is definitely pipe delimited.  How do you contact Alteryx Support generally?

BlaseG
7 - Meteor

Also, thank you so much for trying to help on this issue.  Really appreciate it.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Alteryx support: sign in at https://my.alteryx.com

I think you'll need to sign in using your business email address, linked to your Alteryx license.

Under the Mission Control home page

After the sections for Notifications and Account Team, click the button for Submit New Case

Chris

BlaseG
7 - Meteor

Still never got a reply from that.. Anyone else have text to columns issues with azure data lake file input?

Doesn't allow me to use pipe delimited, only comma.  

When I try to split headers, it cuts off after 236 characters.  Can see in the screen shot below max field length is 1000, so not sure why it's truncating after 236 characters...  Really stuck here..

Labels