Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Tableau Output tool - Failed to Save & Failed to Append

kconner
5 - Atom

Hi, I am converting my flows over to the Tableau Output tool and I am running into the 'Failed to save file at:..' and 'Failed to append data to..." errors. I am overwriting a file, and it seems to be inserting data into the Tableau hyper, but incompletely (not all rows are saved there). How do I fix this error?

14 REPLIES 14
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@kconner This tool is incredibly buggy. I've fixed a similar issue before by copying the entire workflow to a new canvas and running it again. No idea why it worked for me, but worth a try.

kconner
5 - Atom

Buggy is a good word, frustrating is another 🙂 . Copying it hasn't worked, as has saving a bigger flow to a yxdb and just reading that one to the Tableau tool. Have rebuilt the Tableau tool a few times as well. I must be missing something here, since other flows are working with this tool. Not sure what's different here.

I am having the same issue here. Frustrating

Jason_Fenner
6 - Meteoroid

I'm having the same issue. Any resolution?

lindseyck
5 - Atom

Hey folks, I was having the same problem and wanted to share what worked for me. The new Tableau Connector seems to be very particular about numeric fields. By adding a Multi-Field Formula tool before the Tableau Connector step and converting all numeric fields to float I was finally able to publish without receiving the "failed to append" error. Hope this helps!

JeffJeffrey12
7 - Meteor

Does someone have a real solution for this issue? 

Why does the tool first upload like 5% of the data to overwrite the existing dataset and then trys to append the other 95% where it seems to fail the more data you have?

This is really confusing and fails way to often.

Trying to convert doubles to float didn't help me at all.

And I only have 4 columns with about 300.000 rows.

Unbenannt.PNG

Jason_Fenner
6 - Meteoroid

I gave up on the tool. Instead we moved all of our data to a Microsoft SQL Table. We made that our datasource that our Tableau reports now read from.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

I was facing similar issues with the tool and the tool has a lot of bugs but later I started using Push to Tableau Server Tool instead.

Sapna Gupta
JeffJeffrey12
7 - Meteor

@grazitti_sapna Isn't the Publish to Server Tool deprecated?

@Jason_Fenner Well, that might be an idea, but from the perspective of our team I would like to directly output it to the Tableau server right now if somehow possible.

Labels