Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Super slow dragging in or import or input excel files from shared drive

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Alteryx worked all fine in my 1st PC. Then it became an issue to open excel files, PDF, or PPT etc. one day, esp from the shared net work. So the company Tech guy helped to replace a new PC, which works all fine for these, except for Alteryx. Now, it takes more than 10 min to drag in a simple file of 190kb from the shared net work drive to the designer. It's only about 8 seconds on my colleague's. And I also tested one workflow which runs 1:08min on her machine, but takes 3:32 hours on mine. Tech said the hardware is normal. Restart PC does not work. Re-installation of the software either. I even replaced a third PC without any luck. Any suggestions on this? So far, it looks like related with my ID.

PS: It works normally if the input file is saved at local drive.

Test IDTest Methodtime for sheet name loading (Select Excel Input) not responding timetime for workbook loading (Entire Alteryx not responding time)time for Input tool selection after loading (refresh preview 100 records)
1primary PC1m 45s10min10min
2secondary PC10-12s70s30s
3Colleague on her Secondary2s8sinstant
4Me on Colleague's sec10-15s40-74s30s
5Colleague on her primary2s8sinstant
6Primary 21m 45s10min10min
7my local drive2s8sinstant

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @JokeFun 

The concern is with the shared drive the time taken is nothing but the time taken by the system to connect to the file. Sometimes same shared drive is considered as from a different network when using system with different domains. Also, this is not a direct issue with the PC but might be with the network configuration.

A quick check what you can do is copy the file onto your desktop, try connecting it and check whats the time taken.

Hope this helps : )

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodedog05  ,

connecting to the same file copied to the local drive (C:\) is just normal. 

PS, the tech advised that those anti-virus software or any other scanning software is supposed to work in the same way for my colleague and me. But I really doubt they are doing additional data scrutiny with my ID.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @JokeFun 

Just confirming using files in the local system was faster right?

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 Exactly. Import from local drive is normal.

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

The conclusion is it's a specific problem with my ID, because even IT assigned a new HVD to me, it is still the same poor performance. I also tried to log on my colleague's HVD where her ID works quite well and mine the same poor performance. So now it can take hours as I am developing some complicated workflow. I tried to save all data source to local C drive at the very beginning, which helps a bit. But maintenance and update of the workflow after go-live have to be based on shared drive files, which is really a big headache for me.

Labels