Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize tool totals

jamesmc19
5 - Atom

Hi

When producing a summarize tool i can't seem to find a totals area, the only other work around i have is to create a separate summarize with the totals and then join them back to the original data however this seems very longwinded for alteryx, is there a way to produce a total row? (Running 19.1)

Thanks 

9 REPLIES 9
TarunDeep
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jamesmc19 ,

You can use summarize tool using group by to all the data and total for the measure, then renaming the field.

To produce a seperate total row, you can use CreW macro Add Totals which gives the functionality to create new row/column for totals. That is quite helpful when you just want to creat total using current data structure. It outputs the same structure and totals for the selected measures.

total_tool.JPG

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

As far as i know that's the only way with a summarise tool, however i'm happy to be proved wrong! There is also the option to use the cross tab total column checkbox when "aggregating values"

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @jamesmc19 You can also use a cross-tab tool to create totals. Tick 'Sum' and 'Total column'. 

OllieClarke_0-1575637837787.png

Hope that helps

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think the best way is to use @MarqueeCrew 's "Add Totals" macro. I've attached for your use. I highly recommend you download the whole suite of "CrEW Macros"

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
jamesmc19
5 - Atom

I am looking to get totals at the bottom as a new rom

Is this possible?

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yep, that's what that macro can do! 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @jamesmc19,

You could still use the cross tab method i explained and @OllieClarke showed just with one slight change, using total row rather than total column:

image.png 

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

jamesmc19
5 - Atom

@joshuaburkhow 

When i try to get into the macros i get this message 

jamesmc19_1-1575643632426.png

any advice?

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You need to save the macro to your macros folder (if you have one setup) and then bring it onto your canvas from the tool palette. Let me know if you need help doing this. 

Basically when you get that black box question mark it means that Alteryx knows you are referring to a macro but it is not located where the workflow is saying it is. Make sense? 

Labels