Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize Tool rounding issue

gjunhao96
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have a sample workflow that looks something like this:

gjunhao96_0-1665455378460.png

In the join tool, all records from the input tool goes to the Left output anchor. 

When i summarize the amounts, the summary tools result in slightly different values (probably due to rounding).

The top summarize tool returns a value of 1987762.86140003 (which is correct), while the bottom summarize tool returns the value 1987762.8614001.

Does anyone know why this happens and how I can ensure that both summarize tools result in the same values?

Attached is the sample workflow.

3 REPLIES 3
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@gjunhao96 , In my case its showing same values for both. Can you help in replicating your issue. Or may be you are using old version of alteryx.

grazitti_sapna_0-1665456546953.png

Sapna Gupta
gjunhao96
8 - Asteroid

@grazitti_sapna The display is similar as it is rounded to 4 dp. But when you double click on the values, there are small variances. 

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @gjunhao96 

This is the precision error caused by floating point operations.
Because of the approximate nature of the float and real data types, do not use these data types when exact numeric behavior is required, such as in financial applications, in operations involving rounding, or in equality checks.
The correct result should be 1987762.8614, so you can format the number type to FixedDecimal and size like 19.4 first if you want.

Labels