Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Subtracting from result in Multi-Formula, Same Column?

dan_b
7 - Meteor

Alteryx Question.PNG

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to duplicate column F in Alteryx.  The formula in the first row is (Amount - Finished) + Adds. In row 2 the formula is (Row 1 Amount B - Row 2 Finished)  + Row 2 Adds, then (Row 2 Amount B - Row 3 Finished) + Row 3 Adds... on so on.  Basically, I want to base the formula on the next row on the result from the previous row.  What would be the best way to accomplish this in Alteryx? 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Step 1: Popped the input data into Excel to make this easier for others to work on this.

Step 2: in progress :-)

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here you go - no multi-row needed

3 steps:

- create a single column that gives the overall movement on each row (finished - added)

- do a running total of this column to see overall change from the starting point

- finally use a formula on each row to subtract the running total from the amount

hopefully this solves your question - if so, would you mind marking this a solved?   If you still have questions, please post them on this thread (with any additional data) and we can close this out together.

Cheers

Sean

Capture.PNG

dan_b
7 - Meteor

Hi Sean,

I can't open the workflow. It looks like I'm on an earlier version of Alteryx. Can you type the formula that you used and the final result?

dan_b
7 - Meteor

Hi Sean,

I can't open the workflow. It looks like I'm on an earlier version of Alteryx. Can you type the formula that you used and insert an image of the final result?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) there's a simple hack to get around this -- just open up an alteryx file in Notepad++ and set the version number manually.   I've done this and attached the revised workflow to this thread.

Version Hack:

these are the first 2 lines of any alteryx workflow file - you can get round these version issues by changing the bold text below

an alteryx 11 flow:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="11">

Updated:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="9.5">

dan_b
7 - Meteor

Thanks Sean! That worked

Labels