Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

String variable switched type - multi-field formula tool

fiddycodes
7 - Meteor

Hey everyone, 

I keep getting an error in the multi-field formula tool that my string variable switched type. Does anyone know what is usually the cause of this error? I have several fields, but the specific field causing this error isn't specified so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot. My formula is basic regex replace that removes back slashes. Please help! I can't attached the data because it's proprietary, but it's a bunch of string a fields. 

3 REPLIES 3
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @fiddycodes,

Does adding: ToString() around the whole formula in the Tool help? 

fiddycodes
7 - Meteor

Unfortunately not :(

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I get this problem too - basically you've create an awesome way to change your sample data into numbers. This is cool. It works great. Problem when you run it with new data - upstream your work has already been done for you. Your data is already numbers. Multi-Field Field  goes to process your data and it's broken. it will not work.

The fix is... add a second multi-field before that one. Convert your fields BACK TO STRING in the prior tool. Your new tool will work as planned and not set off the error. Secondary fix - DYNAMIC SELECT. use that as a control to only process fields which meet certain name/type criteria.

I have an idea floating around in the idea section to allow multi-field formula to select tools via formula (which would really help here)..

Labels