Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

String to Date Conversion

jderienzo
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to convert a string field that is actually a date to a specific format:

example: string reads 050619 and I need to convert it to 05/06/2019.

Thanks in advance for the help.

4 REPLIES 4
AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

Hello, 

You need the DateTime tool. https://help.alteryx.com/2018.3/DateTime.htm?Highlight=date%20time

String to Date/Time format: Converts string data to a DateTime format in the yyyy-MM-dd format or yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss format.

• Select the string field to convert: Select from the list. The field is greyed out and reads "No Suitable Input Fields Available." if no DateTime columns are present.
  • Specify the new column name: Enter a new column name or use the default DateTime_Out.
  • Select the format that matches the incoming string field: Select a format from the list, or select Custom to identify a different format in Specify the format of the incoming string field.

EDIT: 

Please see the attached example :) 

KP_DML
8 - Asteroid

You can use the DateTime tool to parse the string to date from a custom format. In your example it is MMddyy.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jderienzo 

Here's the expression to parse that string into the standard Alteryx format, then output in the format you specified:

DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse([String],"%m%d%y"),"%m/%d/%Y")

In this case, i place your input value, "050619" into a field called [String].

jderienzo
6 - Meteoroid

Drew:

Thank you for the detailed answer and sample, work perfectly.

Kind Regards,

Jason D.

Labels