Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Stop Alteryx from syncing network data sources

lostipod12
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have a workflow which has connection to several data files on a network share and a few DB connections.

Every time I do a thing in the Workflow, Alteryx stops to think. It takes literally 15-20 seconds between mouse clicks for Alteryx to figure out where it is and what it's doing.

I remember in Tableau there was a 'disable sync' button where you could tinker with a dashboard without it trying to recalculate everything on the fly. It became a real lifesaver, especially for dashboards which pulled in live data from lots of different sources.

Is there an equivalent in Alteryx?

Thanks

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @lostipod12 

Have you tried the "Cache and Run"? Just Right-click on the tool to which you want to create the data cache. Then choose Cache and Run Workflow. This way, you don't have to keep loading and re-loading. 

Also if you only want to "tinker" with some part but not all of the workflows, consider using containers which allow you to enable / disable parts that you don't need to run all the times.

Dawn.

lostipod12
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

Replying to my own post to maybe help others.

Two different things I did here to help:

1. Kill my network connection when I need to do a series of things in my Workflow; this effectively stops Alteryx from going out to sync with network data sources. In my case, I just disabled the WiFi on my computer, did my work, then re-enabled it when it was done.

2. If I had network data sources which I knew would be static for a period of time, I printed their outputs to .yxdb files and imported them back into the workflow as data sources with the intent of temporarily disabling the live network data sources while I worked.

@DawnDuong Thank you for your reply. The 'Cache and Run' trick didn't always work...either that option was greyed out, or I would get it to work, only to have Alteryx kill the cache every time I did something further upstream. 

Thanks,

Nick

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @lostipod12 

Glad to know that you found what worked.

I would like to encourage you to try the cache and run which may prove useful to you down the road. Obviously when upstream is edited, then the data will need to be re-run and re-cached. The reason why it is greyed out is explained in this https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Cache-and-and-Run-Workflow-option-is-g...

Usually I just insert a simple select tool to make sure it can be cached.

have you also explored the use of container to enable piece-meal code checking? Using containers in a well planned workflows can improve its debugging efficiency. https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/will-griffiths/comments-containers-alteryx-making-sense-workflow

dawn

Labels